Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dinnertime Update

Please note that in order to understand the full severity of tonight's events, you should first read the previous posting.

Dinner was the worst ever tonight which I thought was somewhat ironic considering the previous post of the seemingly perfect dinner routine. Mark made hamburgers, scalloped potatoes, and broccoli and cheese and John Thomas threw a fit because it wasn't chicken (nor could we disguise it as such). I hope tonight isn't one of those Mommy Dearest nights he'll remember forever with his mother trying to stuff food down his throat. I told him that he wasn't going to have anything else to eat tonight and that his dinner plate would sit there until he went to bed so that when he was starving and asked for fruit snacks, his cold dinner was all he'd be able to have. I threatened, I yelled, and I used angry, angry faces that I hadn't pulled out since my days as a 1st grade teacher. He finally took the one bite of his hamburger and one bite of scalloped potatoes, both doused with shredded cheddar cheese at his request, after a long hour and a half of tears and screams (from both he and I).

After it was all said and done and I had had time to feel really bad about my CPS worthy performance, I caved completely by promising more "chicken" tomorrow night and allowing an unlimited amount of cheese sticks and grapes in bed. And I wonder why these dinnertime disasters continue. His cold dinner? Hannah ate it.

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart- hang in there. I'm sure your tears and fustration were well warrranted. I know they say that kids have to try things 30-40 times before deciding if they like it...can't imagine that routine that many times....Hey, at least he took one bite. Sounds like he has his momma's hard head:) Prayers for dinnertime at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO do not look forward to these days...you are doing the right thing though, just be strong and remember it won't last forever, right? RIGHT? Just kidding...he will grow big and strong and never remember the tear-filled, cold plate nights...you are a good mama! Good for you that you are striving to keep introducing new foods! You could just be lazy and give him PB &J for every meal!
    (PS, I have NEVER done that BTW!)

    ReplyDelete